A little of this, a little of that. And a lot of birds ;)

As we prepare to greet the new year it is a fitting time to once again laugh at our inability to plan + schedule or understand time at all.  At this time last year we were packing for a possible 2 month trip to our dear, beloved Baja. 2021 came preloaded with challenges + sadness and my heart goes out to so many who have suffered. 2022 has me more anxious than I have felt in some time + its arrival reminds me to be ever more grateful - including giving thanks for this brilliant opportunity our family has had.  

We lost count of the number of turtle nests we saw these past 2 seasons.  Which is why we were surprised to not get to see more babies emerging from the sand.  A few days ago we came upon a mostly hatched nest, only a few poor stragglers and misdirected fledglings stuck in tire tracks and on their little backs.  We scooped a few energetic ones up and placed them in the tide, but this poor little fella sadly didn't make it.   

While on the subject of survival, I enjoy watching the top of this cactus each day to check the scores for Birds vs Fish in the big game of life.  
It is not the most comfortable place for a meal, and it is always BYOF, but the view is spectacular.  

And if you leave a mess, there is always a clean up crew available + eager.

Blanca enjoys visiting all the dehydrated fish that dot the beach + arroyo, even savoring some over the course of the week.  The one she has here is aged to perfection.  

Yay for booster shots in Baja!  One still has to be a resident/citizen so Lu + I weren't eligible, but I was thrilled for Max to get his!

First we headed to a school in Cabo + waited in long lines in the sun, then chunks of each line were brought into various waiting sections, then led in smaller groups to classrooms to fill out more paperwork and get the shots.  It was acually run really well + I was psyched to see so many older people taking their vaccination seriously.  Free flu shots were also available.  
Piloncillo is raw cane sugar pressed into rock hard cones + has a rich molasses flavor.  Here I was grating it to use in a batch of granola.

It was a very mellow Christmas for us, and I was touched that our friend Susan shared gifts with us, including this fun Todos Santos whale tee for LZ.

My phone screen was shattered to the point where I wasn't sure what I was getting photos of on this hike in honor of our friend Marie and her birthday. To the left there is a steep drop off down to the Old Port and on the right it goes toward the town's fishing beach.  
We could hear the barking of the sea lions echoing up to us but I didn't get close enough to the edge to see if they were visible.  

I have yet to get a good photo of the really flashy road runner on the way to the beach - it must be the male I am guessing, since he has bright red and is beautiful.  I thought this more subdued brown one was still very cool.  


Blanca surprised me by jumping up onto my knitting while housesitting at the neighbors a few weeks ago.  Where are her manners!

When the neighbors are home we stay up all hours playing Mexican Train and laughing our heads off.  But since they were up in the States Luca + I went for a calmer round of parcheesi.  

We still get to the beach at least once each day.

And enjoy all the beach sightings that come with it!
I love the faces on the bird above and the one below. :)

Toby is still a giant mush + still seems to love life in the desert.


I like to leave you with an image of this handsome guy at the end of my posts, but today I have to include one more sweet + beautiful soul to the post.

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I share that Blanca's sweet friend, Luna, died after a very short and surprising illness a few days after we had the pleasure of puppysitting her for a week.  Luna was rescued by the entire beach a few years ago.  Everyone loved her + her smile + the way she'd wag her whole body with joy. She is incredibly missed by all of us lucky enough to know her.

Our family wishes you a safe + festive New Year's Eve, and all the best in 2022.  May your lives be full of love, health, laughter, and all that is good and right with the world.  Wishing much love to each of you.
<3


 

Comments

  1. My God it is so beautiful down here. I am so grateful we have been down here as a family. Thank you for posting this Lynna. The pic of the hawk with the fish is awesome and toby of course is always beautiful. I am glad to see Luna immortalized in this blog post, She was such an incredible sweetheart and it brought tears to my eyes to see her here with one of her favorite toys. Blanca went over to her house last night and slept in Lunas bed outside the neighbors house. She too misses Luna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blanca is definitely looking for Luna - I bet Sophia is too. What a wonderful dog community we have here - who knew we'd be so lucky? Lucky in so very many ways. Settling here was one of the top 5 decisions I think we've ever made. Reconnecting with some of the best people + starting new friendships has been amazing. I love that our family is on this adventure together. <3 143 mi amor.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful posts. Wonderful pictures!
    I am so sorry to hear about Luna. That really saddens my heart. The fact that Blanca went and laid in her spot- melts my heart.
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney. You would have loved Luna. She was all sweetness through and through. I am grateful you will get to meet Blanca - they were kindred spirits. Thanks for sharing the trip with us. I am basically just preparing you for when you and T + A all come down! I can be relentless lol. <3 143

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry that I didn't see this when you first posted it. You are such a good chronicler of your Baja life and adventures. Sorry about you phone, your pictures are spectacular. Hey send some shots of your house at some point. Judy and I have such fond memories of being at your beach, and actually sleeping in your little casita. 2021 was such a BIG year! As they say, "it was the best of times it, was the worst of times". Sometimes I would love to actually talk to you guys. Maybe someday we could Zoom, or Facetime or something. Do you have any plans as far as how long you'll be down there? Things have turned cold up in NY and I hear coyotes out in the woods. I'm so looking forward to spring lol! Thinking of you all with great affection! Hugs and love- Jay

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cento di questi giorni!

Buonasera Venezia

A Passion + an Honor