September means back to school. And back to hurricane season, too.
¡Hola maravillosos amigos! I am supposed to be doing a Spanish lesson with LZ right now. Instead he is online with some kids from Europe, reenacting trench battles in Minecraft, and I am hanging with you, some seltzer, and a mild craving for some chocolate chips. But look at how I practiced some Spanish right there at the onset! At this rate I should be solidly fluent at about half past never.
Here we are saying goodbye to another mostly blissful day in paradise. Even with school starting back up and Max having to travel again and a cat 2 hurricane stopping by for a bit of a visit we are still enjoying our days and mostly working together.
Speaking of working together, I love that Lu is only mildly grumpy when I wake him before the sun to help with with pup walks. These guys are awesome but often need incentives to stick together and Luca is great at doling out treats + love + generally keeping an eye on them. Plus I like sharing big fat rainbows with him, like this one on the morning before Olaf hit.
A thick wall of rain to our north.
And a thick wall of rain to our south.
The storm was still hours from really ramping up but the weather all day was wild.
We took a few walks in the rain and then, because I am a stress eater, we made lots of food. I was drawn to this cake recipe because of all the powedered sugar on top that reminded me of snow. How better to honor a hurricane named Olaf?
It was dark by the time the wind got herself into a proper frenzy. Deeper into the night Olaf made landfall in Cabo as a Cat 2 and proceeded to cruise right over us, right about where this shows the eye, or ojo (I mean will ya just look at me and my brilliant Spanish lol). Anyway, I knew we were safe but I have to say my heart rate stayed super high all night long. The sound of 90+ mph wind trying to get in your window + ripping apart plants + rattling everything not tied down is incredible. Already the rain had felt sharp against my skin when I'd gone to check the solar system before bed - and that was when the wind was still weak. I am floored that there wasn't more damage to our new palapa roof - props to Conrado and his team! - but I was so thankful to have spent the night under a cement roof.
I would have liked it if Max had been with us for the storm, but alas he was back in the US working and wishing he could somehow sneak down. It took some time for us to get our internet system back but we were super lucky to have solar and a generator. Families in Todos Santos, La Paz, Pescadero, and Cabo + San Jose were without electricity for days. Road crews had to clear thick muck off the highway and some beach neighborhoods were isolatd due to running stream beds.
Much of our town ventured out to our vast arroyo to collect crayfish that were washing down from the mountains. We were late to the party and he we are 5 days post Olaf mostly just having fun seeing how much water was still running and laughing about the pockets of quicksand that would suddenly have you up to midthigh in mud.
Considering this is bone dry all year and this was so long after the hurricane, we were impressed with the quantity of water still flowing.
As usual, rain brings out lots of bugs, including these gorgeous + quite large moths. More common are the thick clouds of lemon colored moths that flit around celebrating the new desert flowers.
Look what I did! After dealing with burglars, police, and hurricanes I figured I was brave enough to cook in the handmade pottery. White beans never tasted so good ๐
The pool, while warm, is still a wonderful place to spend a little time. Especially if it is a clear night when we can star gaze lying in the shallow end.
But don't let this serenity fool you...
Sunset is usually when the pups get the most feisty and love to be chased and to wrestle.
LZ + I like to take this time to check in with each other since some days our interests take us in opposite directions.
I've been trying to make time for knitting each day. I've had to scrap a few attempts and this scarf has its share of mistakes (that blue line is a life line that I can rip back to if need be), but I'm having fun crafting.
I finished this shawl just before we moved over to the neighbors' house. It is still hard to imagine that we will be cold again soon.
We've been seeing quite a few new nests each week.
But so far no hatchings. I am really hopeful I can share some photos of baby turtles with you soon!
Toby must have been feeling a little low on sodium; I'm sure I was coated in salt.
He's feeling confident with the dogs and is as lovey as ever. Some nights Lu goes and shares a little vanilla ice cream with him while they hang out. I almost wrote 'while they snuggle' but let's face it, there is no snuggling a long haired kitty in the desert in the summer. I feel a little light-headed just thinking about it and might need a little vanilla ice cream myself at this point.
I hope that if you, too, have someone you love getting back into the swing of school that it is going fantastically and with excitement. I hope you are all feeling safe and healthy and are starting to think of campfires, smores, sweatshirts, and star gazing. So much love to you. And thanks.
❤























Beautiful pictures and wonderful stories. I love to read about your adventures. Can you imagine not having Blanca and Toby enjoying it with you? Can LZ please stop growing into a full grown adult while you’re there? Thanks. Stay safe and hugs to all of you! 143
ReplyDeleteThank you, beautiful! And no - I absolutely cannot imagine not having Blanca and Toby. Sometimes when I think of Raleigh I picture that Blanca was with us there - I guess that is just how 'right' the fit is. And as for LZ - I don't know if I should hide him from the sun or keep him from the salt water or if it is all this good food. He has gone from shorter than me to taller than Max in a few short months. Not that we are giants, but he'd already had a 5 inch growth spurt. I probably won't even be able to recognize your boys - thank heavens you share pics so I am not too blown away by all the growing and changing they are doing! I wish you could bring them down. I promise we wouldn't have to tell them *everything* that happened on your college trip here, lol. So much love to you. Stay safe and thank you for looking out for your whole classroom full of kids. ๐143
DeleteHi Lynnie and Luca! I love seeing pictures of you guys working and playing. I was following Olaf, so when I saw the path of the storm I held my breath. So glad you came through that one! Back in November 2020, we ordered a 24kV generator and finally had it installed in early September. I guess I won't feel more secure until we have power outage.
DeleteI love seeing the pics of your dog collection and of Toby the super cat! Does Luca get to see and local kids? Do you get to hang with any local friends? I guess I didn't realize that Maxie had to travel for work. But I guess if he didn't travel, someone would have to do without their solar power system.
Judy is settling back in at work after an initial scare over rules and lack of rules relating to covid. I have about a month left of ice cream season. I've been working 7 days a week since May with one 3 day break in August for Judy and I to have a few days off together.
I think of you guys everyday! Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! Huge hugs to you guys!
Such beautiful pictures. So glad all went well with Olaf.
ReplyDeleteY'all look so dang good.
Buenos Noches ๐❤️