The limited, but hopefully interesting, excitement of day to day life at the moment.

So, life is pretty dreamy here, I am not going to lie.  Sometimes I get choked up simply taking in the spectacular beauty or thinking of the friends we have reconnected with/are making here.  But, let's be real.  There are rough moments + chores + challenges, too. So this post might be a little more subdued as we go through the everyday sort of stuff we've been up to these past few weeks.  
Let's start with water. We have a brackish well on the property but never pursued the permits to flush it/use it so we have all of our water trucked in.  The guys who bring it are great and it is affordable + convenient, but also a process as we have a large tank on the ground, one on the roof of the shed, and one down the hill.  So here I am putting gas in our pump to get it up on the roof for better gravity feed.  
I also have the job of checking the level on the roof.  Which I secretly like because the view up there is magnificent.
However, I have a bear of a time getting back down.  The ledge above the ladder is just a thin wall that is obviously already cracked. I think Max just jumps onto it, but I carefully shimmy + drop down slowly.  Which, because of the rough, unfinished concrete, always means wearing jeans for this chore and let me just tell you - it is mind bogglingly hot + humid and denim is NOT what you want to be wearing for climbing.  Or really for anything. Ever.
Another fun chore is doing the garbage run. Somehow the offer of the garbage truck coming each week to our property got corrupted into us bringing our trash to the guy's house and throwing it in the truck.  I'm not sure if something got lost in the translation?
But thank heavens I have LZ to help as my bags tend to soar magestically right over the truck to land in the prickers on the other side.  Good times, for sure.  Please note that my child will wear shoes for no one and nothing.
I would like to kiss the guy who informed me at a red light that there was black smoke gushing from the rear passenger wheel well on the truck.  Never would have noticed.  It was also cool to learn that our whole axle has oil in it - no idea that was even a thing.  Plus I learned a lot about differentials!  But honestly, the absolute greatest joy was that our friends have a very cool + trusted mechanic in Cabo who was willing to come 40 minutes north to work on the truck rather than have me bring it there!  Plus, how cool is to have friends offer a car to use in the meantime, offer to do the truck drop off/pick up with me if needed, and ultimately offer their garage for the work?  I declare.
Somewhere along the way, someone put in the wrong bearing when my Dad had it at the garage and because of play in it, the axle got worn and the seal blew out. How about this mechanic went searching in Cabo and found us a new axle and changed it out for a sweet price.  Feeling grateful.
So I think I earned the right to zip myself in the hammock and hide with my kindle for a few minutes.  Not sure about this A Man Called Ove, but it was just lovely to have a bit of time to read :)
We've also taken some time to play games.  Well, when we don't choose binging all the Marvel movies lol.  
Lu has a serious need for trenches, and rather than design more for online games we headed to the beach for some actual digging. 
The firmer sand held up great.  
That is, until the tide came in.
This soldier was done for.  

The cholla are no joke.  If you have ever gotten one of their spines stuck in you, you know that the barbed ends are murder to pull out.  But I have to say, they put out very pretty flowers and almost look gentle in bloom.  *Almost*

Here is at least a second lynx - I wouldn't be surprised if we actually have 3 coming around.


Storms over the mountains continue to tease us with the promise of a good rain, but so far they just rumble over us with barely a sprinkle.  Still, we are getting rather outrageous sunsets out of the clouds.

Hard to capture, but there was a large rainbow that ended just over our house one evening.
Just a few lovely moments to share with you before letting Toby take the stage :)

I heard mice one evening so I took the panel under the fridge off so Toby could scout it out.  I guess his plan was more to intimidate them with his massive strength while he took a quick catnap.  At least his belly blocks their path?


He is a sweetheart + we wouldn't want him any other way.  He's smart, too.  With the rising temps + himidity I think siestas are totally the way to go - whenever + wherever + as often as possible. Wishing you rest mixed in with your adventures.  Thanks for hanging with us while we did chores and just hung out.  We send you heaps of love and wish you a fantastic week! 

Comments

  1. Baaaaay-u-tiful pictures. Minus the one of you on the roof and having to get on the ladder.
    Another lovely update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney! I drove down to Cabo yesterday and was thinking of you as I cruised around the wild turns of our lovely "straight" highway lol. It means so much to me that you have been here and shared our love of Baja with us. I have some truly special memories of that trip you made with Grandma Helen! You will be surprised at all the changes when you come visit next time (yes I am just going with the fact that you +T + A will make it down here for a visit <3 - imagine how much fun we will have!) For now, I am honored that you come on out journey through the blog. Seriously, it is lovely to get to share our adventure with you. So much love. 143 beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy to see your pictures and hear you are taking time to truly enjoy life as well. Wishing you more beautiful adventures. Much love <3

      Delete
  3. I feel mentally healthier just from having read your latest installment. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you, Heather <3 Sometimes I wonder if it would be more interesting if we were doing more glamorous things, and I truly appreciate you coming along while we do chores and just hang out. There is so much to savor in the small moments. I hope you are doing well. I love when I read one of your posts. I don't always agree but I really appreciate the opportunity to think about things from a different perspective. Thank you for that!

      Delete
  4. Love reading about you living your best life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisa. We really are enjoying this current adventure. We weren't planning on it all going this way, but it feels really right and we are pretty blown away that we get to be here and are able to make it work. If ever you and Todd need a little R&R south of the border, let us know. We love you and miss you.

      Delete
  5. Oh Wow! I remember the water delivery truck from back in 2002. It was a repurposed oil delivery truck with the top of the tank cut open, with no breaks. The driver stalled the truck as he was backing up, and miraculously didn't hit your bodega. He then started the truck in 1st gear to get going, with water sloshing all over the place. I also remember the well in Elias Cales. A big antique pump motor in a little room. It was so loud and looked so dangerous! But Max tanked up, drove back to your place and pumped the water up to the tanaka. Please send a pic or 2 of the house and how it's coming along. Your comment from the last post about Jan and Betty's being an "adventure park" is sad, but I guess predictable. When I see your pics, it looks like nothing has changed, but when you talk about it, I guess everything has changed. The amazing landscape is still beautiful, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay - I was in the middle of a message back and somehow my computer did an update and lost the whole thing. I had forgotten that truck! It is fun to hear your memories of it. I mostly think of the '57 (or '58?) truck that we got from MaryLynn's caretaker Pancho and used to haul water back from the community well. That thing was incredible - it was known all around Elias Calles as the burro. Our house is kind of on pause right now but I hope that it will be undergoing some exciting improvements soon. We really need to finish the shower and see about enclosing the downstairs. I like the simple life, but sometimes a girl wants an actual kitchen floor, ya know? Someday you and Judy should come down again. There actually is a lot that is the same - much of what stole our hearts is still here. The beautiful neighbors and friends, kind strangers, amazing landscape, fantastic culture, etc. But there has been a ton of growth and not all is fabulous. Still, we are super happy. I hope that life there is going well. I seriously dream of your peach vegan frozen dessert! I could go for a container right about now! We got some rain today which was magic - but now it is sunny and hot and perfect for a fruity ice cold pint!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cento di questi giorni!

Buonasera Venezia

A Passion + an Honor