Cooking and eating, some glorious chilling, and 2 throwbacks to our last visit to Baja. Plus Toby.



7 years ago we drove cross country and down to Elias Calles in a tiny trailer, with a tiny version of LZ, and these memories just came up + made me smile + I thought you might like to see them, too. I remember we found two other animal skulls besides this cow one, which clearly we should have kept since I now see them painted online for $400.  



This was at a military checkpoint in San Ignacio.  I remember LZ was so curious about the soldiers and their encampment.

Here is that same guy, just so much older.  I measure time in how much taller and squeakier my son gets.  I love the voice changing thing.  Peter Brady had nothing on what my guy's vocal cords are going through. And just like last time we were here (or on any adventure, really) we are exploring the ice cream situation. It is the only outing we have allowed ourselves in over a year, but if we are going to feel confident going anywhere - I am super happy there is a safe and sanitary heladería for us to enjoy! I did not love my flavors, though.  And you will laugh and say, "of course not, ewww!" But I tell you, I have had really great corn ice cream from this spot before.  I have made incredible corn ice cream at home.  This scoop of corn was not either of those lovely experiences.  I have also made really delicious ice cream with avocado in it, but this avocado ice cream really missed the mark for me as well.  I almost feel like I should find a different shop before trying my absolute favorite - prune!  Luca went safer with chocolate and oreo and both were great but he remembers his heart's true delight being grape.
Please do not be distracted by the wild and wooly situation of my husband here.  I had been asking him to trim for days and days and so, after we enjoyed our treats, he went home and attempted to buzz everything - outside, in the dark, with a tiny mirror, a liter of beer, and a guard that kept switching length on him without him noticing.  He said the looks on both Lu's and my faces when he walked in to the light of the trailer told him everything he needed to know about how he looked. It took me another 30 minutes - out in the dark - to make him nice and even again. In any case, we both thought the other's ice cream choices were better than our own - he went for lemon + rosemary ice and I got pistachio.  Yumorama!



For the same reason we don't have the 'good' hair trimmers for Max (overweight trailer needing to be purged) we couldn't bring a proper muffin pan.  Thankfully my cupcake liners are strong enough to stand up on a cookie sheet and if I time their cooking between the top and bottom of the oven right, they come out tasty and perfect! (Which did not actually happen with this batch - thankfully Max loves burned food and got all the muffin bottoms ;) )

While we are on the topic of baking food, here we were enjoying killer gf pizza.  I could have done without the old wooden door frames popping so many bits of itself onto the dough as it crackled in the fire but it all becomes part of the experience. 

 
I made a triple batch of dough and all got fresh tomato, but only some got anchovies and caramelized onion.  We used some queso fresco that doesn't melt mixed in with some melty cheese.

Thinking this Oaxacan chocolate will make great hot chocolate. 

 
Our friend/worker stopped by and gave me fish that he bought off a boat yesterday afternoon.  He also recently dropped off a few bundles of beautiful firewood from up in the mountains.  Such thoughtful and kind things to be on the receiving end of - it really makes a person smile.

LZ was super surprised to wake to Easter stuff from home.  Including 3 kites that the Easter Bunny gave him years ago but never got flown.  This bunny is insistent with her gifts and will just keep regifting them until they are used.  Max and I went a little wild picking weird candies from the shop and Lu seems to love the tamarind candies the best.


Dramatic change from sweet bliss to spines that have spines, just for good measure.  Rancho beautification days have lead to me having many cuts and blisters and reactions to either the plants or too much time in the sun.

Still, I'd rather encounter the spiny spines than this fellow.  I feel like the universe is testing me, but I don't know why.  I am okay with all my irrational and rational fears of these creepy crawlies and feel like whatever the lesson is, it can go away now.


Luca was thrilled to trench in better sand.  He is a true connoisseur.
 
I got to do some knitting while he worked.  I am making a shawl and at the rate I am going it should be done just in time for next winter.  I have noticed we've had slightly more lounge time lately, though - but I have so much more I want to cram into it - reading, listening to audiobooks, learning better Spanish, making rope baskets, flying kites... Must balance work and play more. 

 
We put Luca to work sifting sand for a temporary little patio in front of the trailer steps.  Hopefully we will move up into the house soon, but a nice stone landing in front of the trailer is nice and homey in the meantime.

I was put to work painting the huge new gate we had made for the driveway entrance.  Bright red will probably fade the easiest but it is so cheery and fun in the meantime.

I didn't get great pics of the caves and haven't been able to get back there since my back and hip have been in a ton of pain lately.  But here are the ones I snapped the day we did reconnaissance for a family exploration.  



View out of the cavern. The tide was still pretty low but I have an extremely low threshold for anxiety when it comes to getting trapped in a cave at high tide with my son and neighbors' dogs - so, yeah, not a lot of great pics.

Luca and Sophia exploring.


These two love this spot and are often found there reading &/or snuggling

I bought myself some weird flower/leaf/plant matter things that are so stunning and brighten my mood every time I look at them.  

Sunrise has totally shifted north on the mountains.  Here I am viewing it through a new hole in the cement the workers have busted through for a new window in the eastern bedroom.
LZ, of course, thinks it looks like we were heavily shelled.

Sunset as seen through the west bedroom windows as they await their new glass later this week (we hope!)




Our sweet Toby taking a break in dreamland.
That's about all our news for now.  I am going to go gather wood to build a fire for the fish and watch the sun sink into the ocean.  Mexico has been rolling out its share of vaccines but I don't think I will be eligible at all since I am only here on a tourist visa.  As a resident, Max should be fine.  We continue to stay more isolated than I want to be and that feels really hard at times.  I am grateful to stay connected to you through this blog; my sincere thanks for sharing the adventure with us.  With love.

Comments

  1. OK WOW Where to begin? Thanks so much once again for the comprehensive review of the adventure. I love the shot of Luca and the soldier. So easy to be intimidated by men in camo with guns. But apparently not Luca! Ice Cream in Baja was one of my early inspirations! That prune ice cream was so rich! I made some tasty corn (with coconut milk) for a corn festival and it was a huge hit. I guess the shop you guys went to was not Sol Roch in Pescadero? And all the great pics of food! Move over Martha Stewart! You guys can cook anything, anywhere. You and Max brought a cow skull with horns, that Judy found, back for us wired to the front of the bus back in the late 1990's. We still have it on our living room wall. This Covid-19 thing is sometimes as scary as the sea shore caves. You have to be very wary of the incoming tide. I remember the profound silence we sometimes experienced on the beach. It was only the crashing waves, and the occasional plane that added any noise. That gate looks extremely heavy! How the heck will you raise it and attach it to the gate posts? You guys are so strong and determined. I'm sure you'll prevail! I'll read the blog a few more times. Maybe I'll email again with anything new that I come up with. Huge virtual hugs to you and your most excellent family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Me: Hey Ben, wanna see a picture of baby Luca with a skull?
    Ben: Why would you even ask that? Of course I do.

    2. I think the weirdest ice cream flavor I've ever had was Earl Grey and Lavender. Of course, if I'm willing to eat lab-grown "ice cream" I should probably be willing to be more adventurous. But you can never go wrong with Oreo!

    3 .I agree with Jay. Move over Martha Stewart. Is there anything you can't cook outside over a fire or in a tiny camper oven? With door bits for added flavor!

    4. Love the relentless Easter Bunny!

    5. Do not love the creepy crawlies.

    6. Ok, those beach caves aren't as scary as I was imagining, but I can see why you'd be very concerned about tides. I'm sorry your hip is giving you trouble and hope you can make it back down there again soon.

    7. I love noticing how the sun moves during the year! It's not really something I'd ever paid attention to until Moxie got sick and I was suddenly up at sunrise every day.

    8. The Toby fan club appreciates his *three* photos in this post (I'm counting the chocolate one even though he's just blurry in the background). Sending many gentle pats and ear scritches to the softest, fluffiest cat in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, and love. It brings great joy to read your updates. You all inspire me to change things up! Keep your heads up and your feet in the sand!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cento di questi giorni!

Buonasera Venezia

A Passion + an Honor