Some of our everyday moments - featuring construction, sleep, bugs, + whales.

We've been here 7 weeks now and still feel like we are settling in in some ways.  Days have rhythm, mostly dictated by the rising and setting sun, but when your house has no fixtures, activity ebbs and flows according to any natural sources of light including full moon or clear starshine, too. We've had excitement in different forms lately, but also enjoyed a string of days that were rather more quiet, mellow, + slow.  
Max and I decided to practice different cement finishes in preparation for completing the shower upstairs in the house.  We're still not committed to one particular path forward for the house/land/Baja, but I mean we have youtube and our Mexican Home Depot bucket encouraging us to *¡HAZ MÁS!* so why not?

We practiced on the wall of the old semi-outdoor shower and had some fun playing with color.

The dates we carved into different phases of construction - above being for the outdoor shower and below being under the stairs to the 2nd story we added to our original palapa plans.

We are so lucky to have neighbors with the sweetest dogs who take us for regular walks + hang with us at their cool + inviting pool.

Back at home I put Max to work hanging my sweet new hammock. (I let him be the first to nap in it, so I am not all mean.)

Speaking of naps, this is what can happen in the quiet time after the evening fire has been lit but before the sun has finally dropped into the ocean.

And then this is what happens when the teen comes along and notices.

The same teen who radiates the sun right out of his heart.

The final, relaxing, sleepy sunset pic before I raise your heart rate with photos of the creepiest of the crawlies we've seen.  


Ok, ok, bees are not particularly creepy.  But they are incredibly invested in water sources + swarm me in clouds whenever I try to wash dishes or do laundry. And ever since I had a scare involving bees, the ER, anaphylaxis, and epinephrine a few years ago I find them landing on me quite intimidating and sorta creepy.

I am not sure if that is a fly or a bee, but whatever it was, it was still bzzzing its wings in a very alive fashion as the decidedly creepy spider did its thing.  (I begrudgingly give huge props to our spider 'friend' though.  I mean she is no lazy wait-for-food-to-land-in-the-web kind of arachnid, she has ambition!  She is going places!  Hopefully, far, far away from me.)

Okay, I am not even going to make the above image as big as the other photos because I feel that is cruel to all y'all.  I'm guessing I have already reduced my likelihood of getting visitors by a solid two thirds with this one image alone. Since I've already tortured you with the picture, here's the heartbreaking tale of what happened: I went to Cabo when we first got down here.  I was so overwhelmed by how different it is (not to mention how very WRONG my stupid Maps directions were, how ferociously thick and unkind the traffic was, nor the fact that after finally finding Costco they wouldn't let LZ in because they weren't letting children in, despite the fact that he A.) is a teen and B.) was wearing his mask better than the lady barring our access.)  I digress.   Anyway I returned to Cabo by myself last week + had spectacular success and came home full of treats and joy... until I began unloading groceries.  That's when I noticed this dude run into this spot between the doors.  Of course I blared for Max and Luca to come running, but only Luca did.  Max was in a meeting, of course.  So LZ and I took turns watching this thing for 30 solid minutes.  In the hot sun, without aforementioned treats, and terrified to look away and lose sight of it.  Yes, you guessed it.  As Max was coming around the corner to come remove it, LZ + I reflexively looked up at him, and the split millisecond was all it took for the spider to put all 8 legs into gear and disappear without a trace.  I almost cannot even breathe as I recount it, that is how upset I was.  Apoplectic might be more accurate.  Ugh.  I won't take up any more of your preciously non-spidery time with this, but let me end by saying two things.  One, this is NOT the first time Max and I have almost come to blows over hideously large spiders not getting removed from the car.  And two, we are now the very proud owners of the very same toxic bug sprays that a month ago I would have classified as disgusting, unnecessary, and vile.

I think the situation clearly calls for a calming photo of the meditative and reassuring Toby cat.  In through the nose, out through the mouth, everybody. 



Another relaxing one - this time of my sweet loves leading a walk toward the caves to the south.  Which I will save for another post.  In the meantime here are two videos of whales I hope will not only actually work, but bring you heaps of wonder + oodles of joy. Thanks!







 

Comments

  1. I just did a dramatic reading for Mike and showed the pictures. Yes I blew up that last torturous monster for him to see it clearly in all its hideous glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are both so brave! It was so hard to look at in person. I know it is ridiculous to be afraid, but I can't seem to help it. Torturous monster is a perfect description!

      Delete
  2. Maybe research that last eight-legged guy (or gal, more likely) and find out that the species is - hopefully - shy, non venomous, and . . . grants wishes whenever spoken to politely by humans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was set on it being a wolf spider based on all the eyeshine we see at night, but this one seems to have the crab shape of a huntsman, which sounds a little more aggressive with a nastier, though non fatal, bite. In either case, I am not into killing any of the spiders and thankfully have Max who puts tarantulas on his face and so is happy to relocate if he is available. I do feel better, though, spraying a repellent around the truck because, even though I know it is completely ridiculous, I am probably going to drive right off a cliff if I suddenly have one of these crawl on me while behind the wheel.

      Delete
  3. Oh Lynnie, your amazing and beautiful and amazing (I know I already said that, BUT WOW) blog should be on the History Channel and the Travel Channel at the same time. The roof of your casita is a work of art, however practical. I remember your nautilus shaped shower house with no door. You guys cast bottles into the walls as windows. The spiders and bees seem like difficult friends to get used. Looks like nothing is small there; big open spaces, big ocean, big spiders, big ideas! Where do you cook? What do you eat? I'm one of those people who can ask 100 questions. Then ask 100 more. What is your goal as far as how long you'll stay and what do you want to accomplish? Seeing your family together is truly beautiful. I think of you guys everyday with a wish that you get to have all of your dreams come true. The closing shot of the whale breaching off in the distance was the perfect cap. I check your blog several times a week to look back at pics and see what you, your fans and followers have posted. Huge virtual hugs! Shine on you crazy diamonds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay! I love that you know that nautilus shower. We used to put the 5 gallon water jug up on a makeshift shelf for a water source until one day I didn’t secure it properly and it crashed down on my head and knocked me to the ground. We spent New Year’s Eve from 1999 to 2000 finally plumbing it with the on demand hot water heater from the bus and couldn’t believe we’d waited to so long! A hot shower is a glorious thing. We saw the glassblowers place from the bypass the last time we ventured into Cabo but haven’t gone and checked it out yet. Somehow I think it is much fancier than when we bought all that glass from the reject pile to cast into our wall. I wish we’d done more. We are still cooking in the trailer, or over the campfire. We need a better set up after melting the griddle, but Max can make a surprising number of foods skewerable on one of his custom whittled palo de arco branches. We are not eating nearly enough fish but are enjoying an abundance of fruit. I never knew how much we absolutely love papaya! It makes an incredible salsa with the mint from the plant the neighbor welcomed us with. And frozen pineapple pureed with coconut milk is a fantastic tropical dessert. I wish we had another one of those super efficient solar ovens like the one Bittman gave us forever ago. By the way, he is living down here but over on the east cape. Hopefully we’ll head that way snorkeling at some point! We don’t know exactly what we want for the future long term. We’ve been approached by two different groups about buying the land and developing it, and the last one sounded like a truly incredible endeavor. But a lot of dreams come and go here and we’ve not had contact with the interested parties in a long time so we’re not holding out too much faith. Perhaps we will subdivide and sell part of the land and share our time between a small piece here and our Raleigh home. In which case, we really need a guest space so that friends like you and Judy will come share paradise with us once again! We really love and miss you both so much. Thanks for being so great about keeping in touch! ps. I need to hear more about what is going on in your worlds! I promise to email soon! Write anytime <3

      Delete
  4. 1) How has it been 7 weeks already? How has it only been 7 weeks?

    2) Adventures in concrete! I love it, and it's a useful skill to have no matter where you live.

    3) I love all the slice of life photos. The beach, the dogs, the glowing teen.

    4) No comment on the rest of the Baja wildlife. The fact that you didn't burn your car to the ground is a testament to your restraint.

    5) I can't wait to hear about the caves! That sounds even more terrifying than the spider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.) Right? What even is this thing people call "time"?
      2.) I love concrete! I wish we knew how to get the really smooth finish called pulido. I think I have to break it to Max that we should hire someone to do the kitchen cabinets and downstairs bathroom. It's an artform, really, to be able to get it so smooth and beautiful (and in the shapes you want).
      3.) Thank you for sharing in all the slices!
      4.) I still haven't been able to drive the truck. I have ridden in it and am starting to chill - except we have seen half a dozen more that size hanging around the trailer these past few days. I swear I never saw so many when we used to live here! Maybe they come out in cycles like cicadas? I'm over it. So very over it.
      5.) I have to find the pics. Better yet, we have to see when a good low tide is and head back. My hip has been in rough shape so no beach walks lately but I need to get back to it! The caves themselves aren't scary and aren't long - it's the idea of mistiming the tides and getting stuck in them that makes me nervous.

      Delete

Post a Comment