Our rugged, magical, desert, Baja home!

We always think it is a whale tail welcoming us to La Paz, but it is actually 2 doves, signs of peace, appropriate for the capital city named as such.    

Here it is!  The moment we've all been waiting for!  We have reached our property!  And actually made it in.  It used to be a tiny 2 lane road that wound by our driveway.  Now it is a slick 4 lane highway with a cement divider, fast traffic, and metal guardrails that left quite a small opening for the truck + 27' to maneuver in.  Luckily there was even time for me to jump out and open the gate before Max made the turn in.


Luca immediately found a coil of barbed wire he will joyfully incorporate into the trenches he plans to dig all over the property.  

The absolute first thing we did was start building a firepit from the stack of stones leftover from columns on the palapa 20 years ago.  We found 2 mice, a scorpion, a snake, and a bunch of little brown lizards.

It is lovely that there is so much driftwood so that we could have a fire immediately.  

How many scorpions do you think we've piled in that truck?  How about spiders?  Luca is clearly happy so that is all that matters :)
First fire a total, joyful success.  

The next project is clearly buying a water tank and finding out where the heck to fill it, but first we MUST run down to the beach and say hello!


Stop the presses, shut the front door, and oh my god!  Look at the incredible bounty our friend and long time neighbor ran over to us right away!  Her welcome was warmer and sunnier than Baja itself.  I cannot even list it all - fruits, tapanades, veggies, vino, dried goods galore, that gorgeous woven bag, PLUS 5 different herb plants and a super pretty succulent arrangement.  I smile every time I water these little ones.  Which brings me to....
We went into Pescadero and bought a small tank and found a public spigot (shown to us when we started to fill at what we *thought* was the town spigot and got firmly corrected and set on the correct path).  It feels like it fills at about 4 gallons a minute.  Lots of time for sparkling conversation.  

There is all this metal exercise equipment around the plaza and Luca got a little workout (though in all honesty, he may have just been hamming here 😉)

There are murals all over the plaza, honoring political figures and showing local flora + fauna, but I especially enjoyed this alien themed one.

We ran a long hose from the truck at the top of the hill and gravity feed into the trailer for now.  

Luca surprised us by packing a last second picnic + asked us to do sunset on the beach with him.

Fair warning, the blog is going to have a lot of photos of our beach from here on in. 

So, I am not really showing much of the 'house' in this posting, just because there is really too much to cover at once.  But Luca grabbed a pic of me doing a blog post at the one table we managed to bring + is set up in the front bedroom.  Yes, windows and palm fronds are missing and we certainly haven't swept but this is the life :) 


Trying to be present at each beautiful mountain sunrise.

  
And honoring the sun sinking into the ocean at the end of each and every magical day.

I know Toby is really the star of this blog so I leave you with a picture of him contemplating the desert out the window.  He has been so very happy exploring the property and doing his thing.  He searches us out, day or night, to let us know when he needs tons of snuggling and connecting.  But the rest of the time he does whatever he wants and stays pretty content.  
 I will show more of our view and our house and the daily stuff but I hope you are as excited as we are that we are home and hitting the ground running!







 

Comments

  1. 1) That is 100% a whale tail and you can't convince me otherwise.
    2) I love that Luca found barbed wire immediately. The land knows what you need.
    ...
    (more comments later after I've put food on my family)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3) With a view like that, who needs window glass? Gorgeous!
      4) And speaking of gorgeous, how lucky are you? Sunrise over the mountains and sunset over the ocean. Living the dream.
      5) "He searches us out, day or night" - reading between the lines here (and having been owned by a few cats in my life) I'm guessing this probably means he walks on your face while you're sleeping.

      I am so, so happy for you all... not about the scorpions or the face walking, but about all the other stuff.

      Delete
    2. Kim - I would keep blogging just for the joy of your comments :) I totally agree about the whale tail. Apparently there is a different Peace Dove statue that actually looks like a dove on the other side of the city - so I think it is fine if we give the gray whale credit for this one. 2. It has been lovely to see how Luca and the land interact. He immediately starts decorating with barbed wire and sets to digging a trench - benefits of Baja living I, admittedly, have never noticed myself. 3. Windows at the beach are rough. Firstly, hurricanes just want to smash the crap out of them. But then they also get very dirty. We aren't right on the ocean but we get what we've always called 'manteca del sal' or salty grease on our windows from being near the beach. 4. We are almost totally living the dream. We need you all to come down to make it complete. 5. If Toby suddenly gets the need to be lovey at night it is not pretty and no one sleeps well. Let's leave it at that. lol

      Delete
  2. I so love your blogposts! Can't wait to read what you post next. I keep thinking back to that ice cream shack in El Pescadero- Sol Roch, I believe it was called. That was one of my earliest inspirations that lead me on the frozen dessert path. I remember the prune, the avocado, the amazing almond. So interesting delicious. Love you guys! So happy that you made it to paradise. I imagine that you'll stay on the peninsula for 3 months? keep me posted! I'm living vicariously through your adventure. Big giant virtual hugs, J. Spica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay! What fun to read your comments and to travel back in time together! I remember they had a corn ice cream as well, and to this day that prune one is still one of my favorites! I love that Baja played a part in your frozen dessert endeavors - it is like our dreams intertwined. We don't know how long we will be here this visit - it might be quite extensive. We are enjoying settling in to the rhythms and beauty.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cento di questi giorni!

Buonasera Venezia

A Passion + an Honor