Final prep + we actually leave the house!
There is a surprising amount of work that must be done to leave one's house to embark on an epic journey! It isn't all that exciting, but it is part of the travels and so will be shared :)
First we had to go to a flat, paved lot to adjust the weight distribution hitch and get the tongue weight. I have just about had it with reading up on GVWR, GCRW, GAWR Rear, GAWR Front, tongue weights, payload amounts etc. But weighing the tongue was actually fun and I wish I'd taken a picture of how we weighed 800 lbs on our bathroom scale by using a lever and fulcrum and some math. Clearly, it doesn't take much to amuse me.
We have a thing about completely ignoring my monthly alarm to change the water filters, but Max thought it would be a good idea to do it now. Unfortunately, he had to crawl through icy mud puddles to get to the crawl space. Fortunately, LZ likes to keep lots of duckboards around for his trenches.
IDK how to get these images side by side but I gave the headlights a sanding/buffing treatment and then changed the bulbs. Driving at night is a whole new experience! (The bottom photo is a "during" photo - I didn't get one of the finished light and the truck is at the store as I am posting.)
Part of the day of leaving was noticing we needed kitchen curtains, then sewing them too small, and then adding a strip of fabric to make them fit.
Mom came by to see us off. I will miss her and tried to talk her into coming with us.
We got to say quick goodbyes to some of the dearest friends in the world, though others we were unable to visit and trust that they know we love + miss them + carry them in our hearts, too. An extra bonus of this particular visit was that these boys are helping care for our two hens while we are away. I can't express how grateful we are to know that our ladies are in this family's care!
Groucho and Dallas are already enjoying their spa like accommodations and love. So much joy about this!
I am not quite as heartbroken to leave the plants, but I actually do really miss them and am glad they will be in excellent hands as well. I gathered half the plants here and half in another room in order to make plant watering easier for the caretakers.
LZ hung a mini skelly with a hand bungeed up to the rod so that they wave to all the people passing us on the highway.
Toby looking super handsome in his new safety vest. I am surprised and grateful he took to it so well; keeping him safe on the road is high priority!
And here we are, 3 miles up the road, having electric brake issues, and having to abort leaving attempt number one. We somberly headed back home for a good night's sleep, ready to try again tomorrow.














I can just imagine that little skeleton bobbing happily down the highway.
ReplyDeleteI hope it makes up for the fact that we are the slow pokes on the road :) I would totally get a smile out of passing a waving skeleton.
ReplyDelete