An idea sprouts into action

 

Because we need to get to Baja, and because we are not ready to fly, we came up with the safest possible option for traveling approximately 10,000 miles round trip as a family as we could.  However, packing for an international, multiweek roadtrip -with a cat - during a pandemic - feels challenging.  Throw in all the anxiety from the holidays, major home remodel, spiking Covid cases, November elections, runoff elections, and the coup at the Capitol and it is no wonder we find ourselves just turning in circles not getting anything accomplished, possibly drooling on ourselves.

Realistically, we have gotten a lot done; there's just always so much more to do! I am a devout safety-first person and we are all taking the pandemic incredibly seriously. So finding a way to take this adventure without putting ourselves or other people at increased risk has been a challenge.  We opted to get a 25’ travel trailer so we have a kitchen (actually one inside and one out), bathroom (with pretty roomy shower), separate sleeping spaces, and room for a toy portable washing machine.  Plus enough roof space for a fair sized solar array and floor space enough for a solid battery bank.  Yay and hooray for energy independence! Here are some photos from the early stages.  Before I decided to change all the things.  

The slide is on the far side.  The awning on this side is motorized and has built in LED lights along the edge.
The dinette area is huge, and also serves as a quite comfy bed with the table dropped down. It was in great shape and "tastefully appointed" but I immediately needed to rip it out and add color and joy!

Toby loves the trailer and takes frequent naps in the bunks while I sand and degloss every.single.square.inch of every.single.surface.

This is where the TV gets mounted but underneath was just empty space.  We searched online for hours to try to find a storage unit that would fit.  No luck.  Unbelievably, I ran into a local thrift store on a whim (because the parking lot was deserted) and what to my wondering eyes should be there but the most perfect cabinet I could imagine.  Grungy and greasy but so glorious even before its complete remake.




Tiny spare fridge, 2 burner stove, and a sink with a faucet that adapts to a hose fitting for after beach rinses (or maybe in LZ's case - showers after mud splattering!)  I'm happy about the outdoor bluetooth speakers, too!

I don't have pics of our bedroom 'before' and can't seem to get my video to load.  Suffice to say, it matched the rest of the decor pretty accurately i.e. it needed some serious love + creativity,










Comments

  1. That cabinet is too perfect! And I love the little outdoor kitchen with the adorable fridge, just perfect for snacks and drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little cabinet is going down in history as my favorite thrift store purchase ever. It was like I magically willed it into being. It just needed a little elbow grease + TLC.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cento di questi giorni!

Buonasera Venezia

A Passion + an Honor